When WhatsApp sent all its users a warning about the new terms and conditions that will come into force on February 8, a lot of information began to circulate about it, noting mainly that the application will expose consumer data.
The platform noted that there will be three main changes in their rules, which they say will be in:
– “The WhatsApp service and how we treat your data”.
– “How companies can use Facebook’s hosted services to store and manage your chats by WhatsApp”.
– “How do we we partner with Facebook to offer integrations in the products of Facebook companies ”.
After that, they began to speculate about the treatment of the information that the messaging service would have from its users, since when reviewing the policies in depth it was read that from now on WhatsApp will share data with Facebook companies, under the assumption of improving the service.
This situation alerted Internet users who immediately assumed that they would now be watched and practically spied on by Facebook, however, Facebook himself WhatsApp appeared to clarify the situation, in this way we leave the myths and truths that have emerged on the subject.
– Facebook, including your companies, could read people’s WhatsApp conversations
– That WhatsApp and Facebook could see the specific location of their users
– That both Mark Zuckerberg companies could spy on third-party conversations
– That they would have access to users’ contacts
However, although some of the above points are similar to what will actually happen with the platform update, basic user data will remain private.
The following points are what yes it will happen when the new terms and conditions start. While they will share more information with Facebook, it won’t be as catastrophic as some netizens have speculated.
– WhatsApp cannot see your private messages or listen to your calls; neither does Facebook
– WhatsApp cannot see or share your location; neither can Facebook
– WhatsApp groups are kept private
– WhatsApp does not share your contacts with Facebook
– WhatsApp does not keep logs of who everyone is texting or calling
– Users can download their personal data
– Users can schedule their messages to be deleted automatically
The above points were clarified by WhatsApp on January 11 on its official Twitter account.
“We want to address some rumors and be 100% clear, we continue protecting your private messages with end-to-end encryption“, Said the company.
In accordance with the new informational section on security and privacy, the update does not affect the privacy of the messages in any way possible. Instead, this renewal includes changes related to a company’s messaging on WhatsApp, which is optional and provides greater transparency about the collection and use of data.
In that sense, he points out that anything that netizens share stays only between them, because personal messages are protected with end-to-end encryption and only users who are conversing can see the chat information.
Although the information that WhatsApp will collect from now on will be greater, the platform ensures that it will not put its users at risk. However, Internet users must be aware that indeed their data will be used for supposed improvements to the service, as well as to receive advertising messages appropriate to their tastes and that, although they are not spied on as such, their conversations and locations (not exact) will continue to be collected.