Monday, April 12, 2021
Home Technology Jack Dorsey sold the first tweet in history for $ 2.9 million

Jack Dorsey sold the first tweet in history for $ 2.9 million


Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter (REUTERS / Anushree Fadnavis // File Photo)

Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, sold a digital version of his first tweet for more than $ 2.9 million after an auction that lasted more than two weeks.

The tweet, dated March 21, 2006, which says “just setting up my twttr” (here installing my twttr), was acquired by Bridge Oracle’s CEO, Sina Estavi, according to Valuables by Cent, the digital platform in which the auction was held.

Image of the first tweet in history and that it was sold for 2.9 million dollars.
Image of the first tweet in history and that it was sold for 2.9 million dollars.

The 15-year-old publication was sold as a non-fungible digital asset or token (or NFT, for its acronym in English). A good that does not wear out due to use and is also unique, because it cannot be replaced by another good of the same kind, is considered non-expendable.

An NFT could be compared to acquiring an original work of art that was signed by its author. And this is what happens with Dorsey’s tweet. While this message can be viewed online and screenshots taken, the original version, digitally signed by its creator, is in the hands of Sina Estavi, director of a Blockchain platform called Bridge Oracle. He is a fervent believer in Bitcoins and crypto culture in general.

Dorsey tweeted earlier this month that the amount raised would be converted to Bitcoins, and subsequently donated to GiveDirectly’s Africa Response, a charitable organization that raises funds to support African families who were financially affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

Work 'Everydays: The First 5000 Days' created by artist Beeple and auctioned for $ 69.4 million (BEEPLE / Handout via REUTERS)
Work ‘Everydays: The First 5000 Days’ created by artist Beeple and auctioned for $ 69.4 million (BEEPLE / Handout via REUTERS)

According to Valuables, 95% of the sale proceeds go to the original creator of the tweet and the remaining 5% to the platform. Dorsey tweeted the receipt for Bitcoin and reported that the money had already been sent to GiveDirectly’s Africa Response.

“Amazing – a huge thank you to @jack and @sinaEstavi – eager to get this money into the hands of the beneficiaries,” GiveDirecty tweeted, mentioning Dorsey and Estavi’s Twitter accounts.

NFTs are making a big splash in the world of collectibles. Earlier this month, a British auction house sold a work by artist Beeple for $ 69.4 million. at an online auction, and awarded an NFT as a guarantee of authenticity.

KEEP READING:

What is a digital work or an NFT: new ways to apply blockchain
A British consultancy offers jobs to be a virtual gardener in Minecraft
Flexible, puncture-proof tires developed by NASA may be available for bicycles

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments