As 2021 progresses, new agreements for the distribution of vaccines against COVID-19 disease they are advancing between countries. He Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF, the sovereign wealth fund of the Russian Federation) and the laboratory Chemical União, one of the main Brazilian pharmaceutical companies, agreed to supply Brazil, in the first quarter of 2021, of 10 million doses of Sputnik V, the first registered coronavirus vaccine in the world. The first deliveries will be made in January. In addition, Russia will supply 150 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine to Brazil throughout 2021.
This agreement was reached today during a meeting between the general director of RDIF, Kirill Dmitriev, and Fernando de Castro Márquez, president of União Química. During the meeting, the two sides discussed key issues regarding cooperation around the Sputnik V vaccine and other joint efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic. As part of this collaboration with União Química, RDIF provided comprehensive support to the technology transfer necessary for the production of the Sputnik V vaccine in Brazil, including the provision of documentation and biomaterials. Local vaccine production has already started.
“The União Química partners were among the first, worldwide, to express their interest in the Russian Sputnik V vaccine. For our part, we are ready for a comprehensive cooperation regarding your supply and production in the territory of Brazil, in order to start the vaccination of the country’s population. Sputnik V is a safe and effective vaccine against coronavirus, based on a well-studied and proven human adenoviral vector platform. Several Latin American countries are already vaccinating their populations with Sputnik V and we hope that Brazil will join them in the coming weeks, ”said Dmitriev after sealing the agreement.
RDIF and União Química They will submit a request this week for the approval of the Sputnik V vaccine by Brazilian regulators under emergency use authorization. The vaccine has already been approved according to this procedure in several countries, including Argentina, Bolivia, Algeria, Serbia, and Palestine. Employees of the Brazilian Embassy in the Russian Federation are currently being vaccinated with Sputnik V.
Dmitriev and Castro Márquez also spoke of the cooperation between Russia and Brazil within the BRICS group. The partners will present an initiative to create a working group of BRICS countries for joint fight against coronavirus and cooperation on vaccines. The União Química delegation will also visit the Sputnik V vaccine production sites in the coming days as part of a visit to Russia.
Features of the Russian vaccine
Sputnik V does not have any element of the coronavirus in its composition, It is presented in lyophilized form, that is, as a powder that is mixed with an excipient to dissolve it and then administer it intramuscularly.
The drug uses a human adenovirus technology of two different vectors, Ad5 and Ad26, for a first and a second injection. However, Sputnik V It does not contain live human adenoviruses, but human adenoviral vectors that are not capable of multiplying and are completely safe for health.
“Vectors” are vehicles that can introduce genetic material from another virus into a cell. The adenovirus gene, which is the cause of the infection, is removed and a gene encoding the protein of another virus is inserted in its place. The inserted element is safe for the body and helps the immune system to react and produce antibodies that protect us from infection.
The advantages of Sputnik, according to its manufacturer:
– The efficiency of Sputnik V is higher than 90%, conferring total protection against serious cases of COVID-19.
– The Sputnik V vaccine is based on a proven and well-studied platform of human adenoviral vectors, these are the cause of the common cold and humanity has lived with them for thousands of years.
– It uses two different vectors, one for each of the two injections required for immunization, which provides more robust immunity than vaccines that use a single delivery mechanism for both injections.
– The safety, efficacy and absence of long-term negative effects of adenoviral vaccines have been demonstrated by more than 250 clinical studies, carried out over the course of two decades.
– More than 1.5 million people have already been vaccinated with Sputnik V.
– The developers of the Sputnik V vaccine are collaborating with AstraZeneca on a joint clinical trial to improve the efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
– It has been approved in Russia, Belarus, Serbia, Argentina, Bolivia, Algeria and Palestine and the process for its approval in the EU has started.
– Sputnik V does not cause strong allergies
– Sputnik V’s storage temperature, between + 2 + 8 C, means that it can be stored in a conventional refrigerator without the need to invest in additional cold chain infrastructure.
– The price of Sputnik V is less than 10 dollars per injection, which makes it affordable around the world.